10.8.08

FASHIONBEAUTYCULTURELIFE


Thanks to the Toronto Star I have discovered LUSH Magazine, about a month ago. At first I paid no attention to it, setting it aside on a shelf, not expecting much from a newspaper add-in. It was today's rainy, muggy, 14-degree weather mixed with sheer procrastination from reading my school summer reading books that I turned over the initial page. Inside I discovered vast pages laden with photographs advertising grand hotels, pricey vodka, and the upper-class of upper-class designers. I was amazed with the beauty and quality and depth of the color of the pictures accompanying the well-written text. Turning each page was pleasure, if not simply for the feel and texture of the paper. The pages thicker than most glossy magazines, the entire product felt like and looked magestical.

I have lately been quite dissappointed with Elle (Mariah Carey? seriously?) and even my backup, Vogue, for becoming too commercial and not beautiful and extravagant. LUSH allows me to flip through 128 pages of pure art - no paparazzi celebrity spottings, no B-class companies plopping their advertisement on every other page of the magazine.

I love a great photograph, where the lighting and clothes and model all harmoniously interact. "Tailored to the lifestyle of the young, single, and well-travelled, LUSH will target the educated women, between the ages of 25-55, indepedent women with professional careers". Although we may not all fulfill the requirements for the target client, LUSH sure does let you play make-believe.

No comments: