24.6.08

Ode to Subway

Oh how I loved you Subway. Really, I did. I would stand up for you when you were put down. "It's eco-friendly - and fast and reliable as well!" I would tell them. But today, you let me down. Really.

So here's the story. Today was my initiation into volunteering in Toronto - the Reading Tent. I set out at 11 am - allowing me two hours to arrive safely to the destination. I had a general idea of where I was to go and knew that it would only be about an hour and a half to get the approximate area of this site, this Humber Summit Library. I was being safe, giving myself some spare time. Or so I thought (duh duh duh). I hop onto the subway and whip out my Required Summer Reading book (not too shabby of a book: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers - i really like the beginning hehe "] ) and feel allll-right. My mom calls just asking where I am and of course I tell her where I'm going and that I'm almost there. I am still under the impression that I will arrive on time. Some minutes pass and I get off at the correct subway stop, all that is left is finding the correct bus to continue my journey and get to the library. Clueless as I am at that point, I ask a little old man working at the ticket booth if he knows. Well, this little old man, bless his soul, whips out this book and finds this library i talk about. And he breaks the news. "Take this bus then this bus to here", he says. "How long will that take," I ask, of course. "Oh, another hour or so" he responds bluntly. Being that I only had fifteen minutes until I had to be sitting with a kid in my lap reading Zlooksh to a six year old, it got me a little worried. But my determination and will to leave a good impression (or near-good impression) pushed me forward down the escalator onto the subway to the next stop leading me to the bus that took me to the street where I was to find this library. And that, my dear friend, turned into another two hours of Reading Tent-hunting.

...and to this day, I still do not know where Humber Summit Library can be found...

But the remainder of my afternoon was pleasant, complete with a trip to Crêpes à Gogo - an amazing crêperie in Yorkville. The atmosphere is pure francais, francais, francais. <3>

No comments: