14.9.08

I Survived a Hurricane Pt. 2

Despite there being nothing on either the radio or TV except "live coverage of the aftermath after Hurricane Ike", I like the atmosphere. I like not having running water, or feeling lucky to have electricity and no severe damage. I love going down the near empty roads in search for an open store. I love seeing one and feeling that I just foudn an oasis in an arid desert. In the materialistic, over-commercialized, technology-filled world I live in, I enjoy having to look for something; not having everything handed to me on a shining silver platter. Driving down the roads covered in leaves and broken branches and general household debris, I feel like I just survived something; like I just underwent an Indiana Jones adventure (yeah, yeah I know that I just slept through the thing...). Its the simple atmosphere of a closer community, as if we all just underwent something together; as if there was mutual support involved to come through alright. It's like on the subway - there's the crazy guy talking and yelling and screaming at everyone and everything around him. The simple eye contact with the person sititng next to you or a quick smile from the person sitting across from you, it is that sense of artificial closeness that I am feeling right now. It is the half-dark, lightly populated mass that I am talking about. You feel that you are experiencing something.

No comments: