11.7.08

To Her Majesty, the Queen

To all those who have been here, I'm sure you know what I am talking about. To all those that plan to visit, I highly recommend it. And to all those who have no clue and/or do not fit into the above mentioned categories, read on, my darlings.

People, I am talking about Queen Street, here in Toronto. Now, Queen Street, if I am not mistaken, is a veeerryy long street in Toronto, but there is one chunk that I particularly like and have therefore decided to blog about.

This evening I went out to Queen Street on the part ending at Chinatown Spadina all the way to, uhh, somewhere a little bit above Roncesvalles. The place, like many places in Toronto, reminds me of New York, particularly SoHo (or what I think is SoHo in New York - our bus-tour-guide was not very good at pointing that out) but better. It's a personal opinion, but I like it better because I think it has a bit of a Toronto feel to it. The area itself is, I guess, not the most manicured, attractive, rich, whatever. But it doesn't matter. Actually, it does matter. That is what gives it its rawer feel. You feel alive and happy and like there is so much going on around you. You look around and see the wonderful and creative boutiques and coffeeshops and restaurants, bars and clubs and you just feel amazingly wonderfully alive. And, the well-dressed-people per capita ratio is quite high, might I add.


I walked into this lovely book shop with not-so-typical books - I mean, there was nothing wrong with them, they weren't old ETC but what they did have in stock was quality. Photography, Art, Fiction, Non-Fiction. Yum. I, myself, bought a little leather-bound book calendar for the upcoming school year (its in a month and a half, I know) with a flower design (not the cheesy-cute though, oh no). And for the price of 14.95, I am quite pleased. And the salesguy was really nice. And the saleswoman. Nice atmosphere of the place, in general.

If I remembered the name of the place I would tell you, but I remember it was right by Trinity Park, so look there (BTW Trinity Park = Toronto's Central Park? Im telling you, the similarities are endless)

byebye,
martha

No comments: